A GPS tracking system is a device that utilizes global positioning system to determine exact position of vehicle, a person or any asset to which the GPS device is attached. The system helps to record position of the asset at particular time interval. The recorded position can be saved in the device itself or can be shared with other devices through internet connection, satellite modems, or by use of cellular radio or GPRS. Using a customized software, location of the asset can be seen on the map either in real-time or while analyzing the track. Such functionalities can improve transportation operations. Increasing adoption of such tracking systems in transportation sector can further fuel the growth of global GPS tracker market.
The GPS system utilizes global navigation satellite system (GNSS) network. The assimilate number of satellites that utilize microwave signals, which are transmitted to the GPS device to provide information related to location, time, direction and speed. Thereby, a GPS system provides real-time as well as historical data related to the aforementioned parameters. It further allows travelers to find exact and shortest route to reach to their destination.
Types of GPS tracking Units
There are 3 types of GPS tracking units. These types are fragmented on the basis of how GPS data is logged and retrieved. The three types of the tracking system are as follows.
- Data Loggers: The most basic type of a GPS tracking system is the data loggers. It helps to log the position of an object at regular time interval and maintains the data in the internal memory. Data loggers itself has a flash memory to store the data and it can be accessed by the use of USB or the device itself. The data can be transferred to any other device through transferring media. Generally, these data loggers are utilized for sports or hobby activities.
- Data Pushers: These are generally used in tracking units that are utilized for security purpose. Data pusher devices delivers data to the central database at particular time interval, updating direction, distance, location and the speed of the unit. These devices are common in fleet control for the management of trucks and other transportation vehicles. In addition, these devices help to track delivery vehicles and their progress. Moreover, valuable assets can be tracked through these devices, even if the valuables reside at a particular place, it can be tracked regularly to avoid theft.
- Data Pullers: The third category of the GPS tracking units is the data pullers. These units pulls data or receives the data when the unit is reached to a specific location or at particular intervals. Such type of GPS units are always on and are continuously monitor its location. Most of the data pullers are also able to push the data in a manner to query a location and other information from the GPS tracking unit.
Features of the GPS Tracking System
Usually all the GPS tracker possess similar features, include
- GPRS/GSM Module: It is utilized to send locations online to user. In several cases, if the user needed to find the location of a specific unit at any time, then such module helps to transfer the required information through internet.
- Idle Time Report: It provides an owner with accurate time, when the driver stopped and turned off the engine of any running vehicle.
- Speed Bar: It helps to check history of the vehicle’s speed. The GPS system is integrated with speed bar unit, which distinguishes speed limits with particular color codes. This will help owner to easily find out speed of the vehicle in particular region.
Request a PDF Brochure at https://www.futuremarketinsights.com/reports/sample/rep-gb-4723
Applications of GPS tracking system for a Company
If one is running a transportation business or a goods delivery business, then GPS tracking system will help to monitor exact location of the goods or the vehicle, as well as can communicate with it through various communicating channels. This will allows one to ensure safety of goods and can track if any fraud is being done with the goods.
Developing technologies have brought revolution in the GPS tracking system. These can be connected to the GPS custom application as per business needs.
This system helps to improve driver productivity, decreases maintenance and fuel charges, ensures safety of assets, time commitments can be provided for delivery, as well as accidents can be avoided by taking precautions and the basic feature of these is it can provide real time tracking.